Sunday 19 August 2012

My thoughts on being a Counsellor - part 1



I trained as a Person Centred Counsellor at Strathclyde University. My aim for my work as a Counsellor is to make Counselling as approachable as possible for everyone. I really do believe that Counselling is simply a place to talk and to be listened to by someone who has total regard for what you are saying and feeling.

I think it can be a very profound experience. It is also a very alive and interesting experience, to be finding out and exploring your own emotional landscape. It is an opportunity for you to think about yourself and how your life is and how you would like it to be. I think it is very true that people ultimately have the answers themselves. My role is to be alongside people in that process. Counselling should also provide a very safe environment. As a client, it is important that you come to things at your own pace and in a way that suits you. There is never an intention to push anyone into feelings or bring up things that they are not ready to experience. It is not a process that can be forced or rushed, it can take time to work back through experiences and to find the route of a feeling or a self-belief that we wish to change. And I hope that what I offer is the space and professionalism to facilitate that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment